Diary of a Buy to Let Purchase Part 14– The end of my sad little tale…

….probably. The purchase of Jeni’s first buy to let hangs in the balance…

So for those of you who I have bored the socks off, with my little foray into the buy to let world (and thanks for bearing with me through this voyage of discovery), you will know that I put my offer in on the property at the start of December.

Which is well over three months ago.

And still, on the 14th March, we have not completed, because there are things my solicitor is waiting for from the other side. Things which were requested months ago.

My patience with this project has been wearing thin and today, prompted by an email from my lender telling me they need 10 days’ notice for funds, (i.e. I need to exchange tomorrow – I have more chance of seeing some Nathaniel pigs fly past my office window) I broke.

I have emailed the selling agent and told them that my offer is withdrawn unless the vendor drops the purchase price to the tune of what will be the increased cost in stamp duty because we aren’t, with the best will in the world, going to complete before the 31st March.

Now I am not someone who believes in pulling little stunts like this – when you agree a deal then that’s, well, the deal.

And last minute price reductions when people are over a barrel is something I really don’t agree with.

However, no-one is over a barrel in this scenario; there is no family home move linked to this deal, or some long chain where me pulling out will bugger up five other families’ lives.

If I don’t buy it, it will continue to be let and the vendor will just need to start again.

And I don’t feel great about this BUT I really do believe that the reason we didn’t complete weeks ago, which we should have done, is because of delays on the vendor’s side – not necessarily from them directly but from their end of the transaction.

So as I type, all bets are off. Although they may be back on again……. I shall keep you posted.

Now. Black or grey range rover?


Diary of a Buy to Let Purchase

2.12.2015 Part 1 It was that or a Range Rover

4.12.2015 Part 2 I've made £800 already and I haven't got the mortgage yet

7.12.2015 Part 3 The demise of Nathaniel Pig 

8.12.2015 Part 4 Call off the dogs...

11.12.2015 Part 5 @***** bank account

17.12.2015 Part 6 Business bank account interview or Center Parcs?

21.12.2015 Part 7 Reality bites...

29.12.2015 Part 8 - The method behind the madness

12.01.2016 Part 9 - Join me in a buy to let fist pump?

25.01.2016 Part 10 - The silence is deafening  

16.02.2016 Part 11 - Throwing toys out of prams

23.02.2016 Part 12 - Stuck with the Mini... for now

03.03.2016 Part 13 - Time is running out

30.03.2016 Part 15 - Just call me Peggy

You might also be interested in:

27.07.2015 Buy to let - from personal to limited company ownership
Prior to now, when asked by clients whether buy to let properties should be bought in their own names or whether they should use a limited company we have always said “it all depends”. Well the Summer Budget 2015 has altered everything and whilst the answer is still “it all depends”, the balance has shifted markedly in favour of limited companies.

9.12.2015 Borrowing through a newly set up Limited Company
Jeni answers one of the questions we are asked regularly at the moment – Can I borrow through a newly set up limited company?

11.11.2015 Setting up an SPV Limited Company 
Buy to let lenders which offer mortgages to limited companies usually require the limited company to be an SPV (Special Purpose Vehicle). Jeni explains what one is and how to get one.

26.11.2015 George hits buy to lets with 3% stamp duty surcharge
David Whittaker, MD at Mortgages for Business looks at the effects of the 3% stamp duty surcharge on buy to let properties and the restrictions of mortgage interest relief on landlords' portfolios. In essence his advice is to act now and not to wait until the new year.