Skip to Main Content
limited company student HMO

Limited Company Student HMO Investment with Foreign National Shareholder

The Clients: An experienced, UK based HMO landlord was looking to go into partnership, via a new Limited Company, with an investor based in Singapore. The investor in Singapore didn’t own any UK property.

The Property: The clients were looking to invest in a newly refurbished, seven-bedroom HMO in an area of the South East, which was familiar to the UK investor and has a large student population.

The Finance: The pair wanted to purchase the HMO to make the most of the area’s abundant student market. The investor in Singapore was supplying the majority of the deposit for the purchase.

The Challenge: The clients wanted to form a Limited Company to purchase buy to let property, however, they had been turned away by several other brokers due to the foreign national not owning any UK property. 

The Solution: We knew that there are lenders that would be more than happy with the foreign investor being a shareholder of the limited company. Through working with the client and their professional tax adviser, the foreign investor agreed that he would be a minority shareholder (under 20%) in the company. 

The UK investor became the director of the limited company with 81% shares, and the Singaporean investor held the remaining 19%. Once this was agreed, we were able to approach a lender that was comfortable with the foreign investor being a minority shareholder. The lender would underwrite solely against the director and their shareholding. 

The pair were then able to purchase the HMO and start their property investment journey as a limited company. Here are the details:

Property Details

Property value: £555,000

Loan amount: £416,250

LTV: 75%

Rate: 3.79%

Term:  5-year fixed, interest-only

Mortgage payment: £1340 per calendar month

Lender arrangement fee: 2% added to the loan.

Rental income: £3770 per calendar month

Gross yield: 8.1% per annum

Consultant: Luke Worrell01732 471600 


>> Sign up to our weekly newsletter

If you would like to discuss any of the above points or have any questions about the matter, please feel free to contact me on my direct dial 01732 471604  or you can email me:  


Mortgages for Business Ltd is registered
in England and Wales No. 2502713.

Registered office:
17 Kings Hill Avenue,
Kings Hill, West Malling,
ME19 4UA.

© Copyright 2023. All rights reserved.

Mortgages for Business Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Finance Conduct Authority (No. 313537) to transact regulated mortgages. We are a credit broker, not a lender. We work with the whole of market in sourcing a lender for you; we may receive a commission from the lender, and this amount varies between lenders. The FCA does not regulate some investment mortgage contracts. Mortgages for Business Ltd is a founding member of the National Association of Commercial Finance Brokers, the body that promotes best practice within the commercial finance industry. Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded for training purposes.