Looking to purchase a small shop with flat above, what type of mortgage will we need?

My partner and I wish to buy a small shop with a flat above it - the two are connected via stairs. What sort of mortgage would we need to get for this type of investment?

Any property with a commercial element will require a commercial mortgage.

In addition to the high street banks there are several specialist providers that will lend on these “semi-commercial” or “mixed use” properties although they can usually only be accessed via brokers, so do get in touch if you need any help.

We’ve been tracking the performance of these properties for several years and they generally provide higher yields for investors compared to standard buy to lets.

Going forward we anticipate their popularity with investors to grow as mixed use properties will not be subject to the 3% stamp duty surcharge which comes into effect on 1st April 2016.


You may like to read the following case studies

Purchase of a take-away with a flat above for investment

Remortgage of mixed use property to increase cash flow

Landlord remortgages mixed use property on interest only rate


Get in contact with us: 0345 345 6788 or ...

Submit an enquiry
Arrange a call back