So this endless saga which is my buy to let purchase continues.
And you won’t be surprised to hear that since my last blog, which was over a week ago, there has been no further update from the vendor’s solicitor.
Because it’s not like we are under any sort of time pressure and this hasn’t been going on for three months now.
I have known marriages which have lasted less time than this purchase has taken.
As luck would have it, the estate agent called me up today to ‘check everything is on course’. Poor man didn’t know what hit him with the tirade he received. This is how it went…
Me: We still haven’t heard from the vendor’s solicitor and I have to complete at the VERY LATEST on the 31st March.
Estate agent: Don’t worry, we’ve still got a whole month.
Me: Er NO, I don’t think so. It is Easter this month which means a four-day weekend starting on Friday 25th with no one working until Tuesday 29th. The reality is that the very latest my solicitor can submit the Certificate of Title is Wednesday 23rd March, i.e. three weeks to day.
And my lender also needs five working days’ notice for funds, so the very last day for this is also 23rd March at the absolute latest.
Together with the outstanding legal work, I also need to arrange for the Independent Legal Advice (see previous blog) which I am simply not willing to do until I see that this is actually going to happen as it’s expensive. Realistically it will take me a few days to get an appointment to get this done.
This means that if I haven’t heard that all enquiries are dealt with and my solicitor is waiting ONLY for me to get the ILA done by the 16th March, then the reality is that this purchase isn’t happening… I’ll be pulling out!
Calmly, my estate asked me if I could put that in writing. His final comment to me was:
Estate agent: I’ll keep an eye on it.
Well that’s encouraging... not.
Oh god, as I am typing this I’ve suddenly remembered that I will also need to sort out the tenancy agreement, the tenant’s deposit and arrangements with the tenant all still need to be sorted out too.
Again, I am waiting on ‘the others’ for this.
It’s not looking good, is it?!?!?!?
Diary of a Buy to Let Purchase
2.12.2015 Part 1 It was that or a Range Rover
7.12.2015 Part 3 The demise of Nathaniel Pig
8.12.2015 Part 4 Call off the dogs...
11.12.2015 Part 5 @***** bank account
21.12.2015 Part 7 Reality bites...
29.12.2015 Part 8 - The method behind the madness
12.01.2016 Part 9 - Join me in a buy to let fist pump?
25.01.2016 Part 10 - The silence is deafening
16.02.2016 Part 11 - Throwing toys out of prams
23.02.2016 Part 12 - Stuck with the Mini... for now
14.03.2016 Part 14 - The end of my sad little tale...
30.03.2016 Part 15 - Just call me Peggy
You might also be interested in:
27.07.2015 Buy to let - from personal to limited company ownership
Prior to now, when asked by clients whether buy to let properties should be bought in their own names or whether they should use a limited company we have always said “it all depends”. Well the Summer Budget 2015 has altered everything and whilst the answer is still “it all depends”, the balance has shifted markedly in favour of limited companies.
9.12.2015 Borrowing through a newly set up Limited Company
Jeni answers one of the questions we are asked regularly at the moment – Can I borrow through a newly set up limited company?
11.11.2015 Setting up an SPV Limited Company
Buy to let lenders which offer mortgages to limited companies usually require the limited company to be an SPV (Special Purpose Vehicle). Jeni explains what one is and how to get one.
26.11.2015 George hits buy to lets with 3% stamp duty surcharge
David Whittaker, MD at Mortgages for Business looks at the effects of the 3% stamp duty surcharge on buy to let properties and the restrictions of mortgage interest relief on landlords' portfolios. In essence his advice is to act now and not to wait until the new year.